The Master in Bilingual and Multicultural Education is part of the Teach & Learn in Spain Master Program and it is aimed at future professionals, teachers and administrators, who will develop their career in this specific environment at all educational levels (from kindergarten to high school).
This Master provides a solid background in key topics, including models and programs of bilingual education, psycholinguistic perspectives on bilingualism, language development, cultural and social perspectives on bilingual education and evaluation of bilingual education programs.
It is structured into three distinct areas that include; academic courses, a life experience portfolio and the submission of a Master’s Thesis. It lasts an academic year (9 months), from September to June and is worth 60 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) credits. It combines onsite classes (Fridays) with online sessions (during the week).
This Master is accredited by the Universidad de Alcalá, public university recognized by the Spanish Ministry of Education.
It is further complemented with hands-on experience in a school in Madrid as language assistant through which the student will come into contact with the social and cultural diversity of Spanish schools today.
- Preparing students to teach in English (L2) in bilingual and multicultural schools.
- Learning and using various methods and techniques for teaching and learning a second language, recognizing the different levels of L2 that can be found in the classroom, and teaching and designing suitable activities for each group.
- Understanding and being aware of the basic principles of intercultural communication in order to generate and promote intercultural understanding.
Requirements to apply to the Master
- Have a Bachelor’s Degree
- Being a native English speaker
- 3.0 GPA
- It is recommended that students have an intermediate level of Spanish (level B1) as some of the courses are taught in Spanish
This Master prepares you to work in bilingual classroom settings as ESL teacher, TESOL teacher, program coordinator, immersion teacher.
It also provides you with the opportunity of exploring other fields of education, such as classroom technology, instructional design, reading and literacy, intercultural specialist, curriculum development, corporate instruction among others.