The Study Abroad in Spain program was established in 1987 in order to promote academic collaboration between Spain and the US through specialized educational programs.
The Study Abroad in Spain program is specifically designed for international students who wish to pursue undergraduate studies in Spain. Our Semester Program runs during the Fall and Spring semesters and students can take up to four courses completing a total of 12 U.S. Undergraduate Credits.
Our Summer Program runs in June and July. Students may decide the length of their stay in this case. In the event of participating in a one-month intensive program (June or July), students may take 2 subjects (6 U.S. credits). If the student wiahes to enroll in both periods (June and July), they may complete up to 4 courses (12 U.S. credits).
Some of the institutions that participate in our programs are:
Colorado State University
Illinois State University
Long Island University
Slippery Rock University
Southern Illinois University
St. Mary’s University
State University of New York
Stony Brook University
The College of New Jersey
The University of Alabama
The University of Arizona
The University of Oklahoma
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
University of Calgary (CAN)
University of Central Florida
University of Central Missouri
University of North Florida
University of Pittsburgh
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Why study at Instituto Franklin-UAH?
- More than 28 years of experience teaching international students.
- The academic excellence of our academic offering.
- Comprehensive immersion experience for our students to maximize their personal and intercultural development.
- Universidad de Alcalá is one of the oldest and most prestigious higher education institutions in Spain, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1998.
- It is conveniently located near Madrid, one of the great capitals of Europe.
- Our privileged location (15 miles from Adolfo Suarez Madrid Barajas Airport) allows easy travel both within Spain and around Europe
- Instituto Franklin-UAH offers an Orientation Session before the program begins, in order to provide students with practical, cultural and academic information to create a smooth transition within a new culture and city.
- The Orientation Session provides incoming students with useful and practical information about the Universidad de Alcalá in general and Instituto Franklin-UAH in particular. It also covers relevant features of the program including academic information, course registration, medical insurance, accommodation, public transportation and cultural and practical information that introduce students to the different aspects of Spanish culture.
- Students are also required to take an online language placement test before the beginning of the program.
- The orientation includes two guided tours; one that covers the city of Alcalá de Henares and the University, and one that offers a walking tour around the historical center of Madrid, allowing students to experience the transportation system between Alcalá de Henares and Madrid in a facilitated group environment.
Instituto Franklin-UAH offers a variety of support services in order to facilitate the stay of visiting students and Program Directors.
- Undergraduate Students Advisor: Direct Enrollment Students can seek the assistance of our local Undergraduate Student Advisor, Antonio Fernández. He is responsible for providing support, assistance and advice to students at all times.
- Airport Pick-up: Instituto Franklin-UAH offers an airport pick-up service for the students on the dates and times scheduled. Further information here.
The majority of our students live with host familiesin Alcalá de Henares. Host families are carefully selected and supervised. A large number of the families selected have extensive experience hosting our students. While living with a host famility students are given access to three meals a day, laundry and weekly cleaning. Host families are also required to provide internet access and desks for all students within their home.
- It is mandatory for all students to have health insurance in order to participate in the program. Instituto Franklin-UAH will provide medical insurance to those institutions or students who request this service.
- In order to facilitate the stay of students with specific health conditions, we recommend students with special medical conditions to contact the Undergraduate Student Advisor directly: Antonio Fernández firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instituto Franklin-UAH offers the possibility of designing specific customized programs to suit their particular interest and academic requirements.
With more than 20 years of experience designing customized programs, we can offer a broad diversity of study tours, in addition to specialized study programs. Some of the more popular programs offered include: Education (Special Education), International Business, and Intensive Spanish Language and Culture.