3rd Seminar on American Studies
The Relevance of American Studies Today
Alcalá de Henares, November 8th 2017
If you are intereste in the PhD program please visit: PhD in American Studies.
This one-day seminar is part of the PhD Program in North American Studies of the Franklin-UAH according to the following objectives:
- To strengthen the scientific community around the American Studies.
- To deep the different lines of research that are being developed in this field of study.
- To analyze new trends in American Studies and apply them to doctoral thesis in progress.
This seminar is address to:
- PhD students and their thesis directors in the American Studies PhD program.
- Master students in the American Studies program.
- Any researcher interested in current trends in the field of American Studies.
Place: Colegio Trinitarios. Room: 9:00h – 14:00h Luis Rosales; 14:00h – 18:00h Seminario 1
Date: Wednesday, November 8
- 9:00h – 10:00h Graduate student orientation (Master’s and PhD): Graduate study, resources, grants
- 10:00h – 11:00h Lecture by Dr. Francisco Sáez de Adana “The Relevance of American Comic Strips”
- 11:00h – 11:30h Coffee break
- 11:30h – 12:00h Round table session with doctoral students
- 12:00h – 13:00h Doctoral students’ presentations
- Sarah Mackin: “Promoting Social Justice through Intercultural Studies”
- Jean Paul Lerea: “Margaret Fuller: a proto ecofeminist”
- Jing Hu: “Environmental Justice: A Common Theme in Indigenous Peoples’ Narratives in the United States, Mexico and China”
- 13:00h – 14:00h Lecture by Dr. José Manuel Estévez-Saá “USA and Spain: An Effective and Strategic Cooperation”
- 14:00h – 15:30h Workshop lunch Professors and Students: “The Challenge and Wealth of Multidisciplinary Approaches”
- 15:30h – 17:00h Doctoral students’ presentations
- Laura Álvarez Trigo: “Audiences and Screens: Mass Communication in Don DeLillo”.
- Elena Serrano: “The Image of Native Americans in recent American cinema”
- Juan Ignacio Gallego: “Silver City: Environment, Immigration and Politics”
- 17:00h Closing and conclusions