Camino Real Award The Camino Real Award was introduced in 2012, coinciding with the 25th anniversary of the establishment of the Institute (1987), to recognize the professional work of Spaniards who prominently and exemplary project and enhance the positive image of Spain in the United States. Read more >
Spanish Migration to the United States, 1880-1940 The main objective of this project is to study the Spanish migration to the United States between 1880 and 1940 from the exploitation of the microdata from the United States censuses carried out between these dates. This data has recently been digitalized and harmonized by the University of Minnesota. Read More >
Francisco Sáez de Adana, nuevo director del Instituto Franklin-UAH En las elecciones celebradas el pasado jueves 25 de abril de 2019, el Consejo Académico del Instituto Franklin-UAH eligió por unanimidad al Dr. Francisco Sáez de Adana Herrero, catedrático del Departamento de Ciencias de la Computación de la Universidad de Alcalá, como nuevo director del Instituto Franklin-UAH. Leer más >

Study Abroad in Spain

Mode of study On campus:
From Monday to Thrusday
Duration and credits Semester Program - 12 US credits
Summer Program - 6 to 12 US credits
Dates September-December
Intensive: June
Intensive: July
Location Alcalá de Henares, Madrid
Language of instruction Spanish and/or English

FAQ and contact

Yes, you need to have a valid passport throughout the study period to come and study in Spain. In addition, you will need to obtain a student visa for the fall and spring semesters. This requirement is not being necessary for the summer programs because they last less than 90 days.

In order to enroll in the program, you must submit a copy of your passport in the Application Form or send it to the Undergraduate Students Advisor before the application deadline (see paragraph above).  Once you have been accepted to the program, you will receive an Acceptance Letter with which you can process your student visa.

To enroll in courses with content in Spanish you need to have an intermediate level or have completed at least 3 semesters of Spanish at your home university. You do not need to comply with this requirement to study courses with content in English.

All our courses have a duration of 45 hours, equivalent to 3 US credits. It is very important that your academic counselor approves the courses you are going to take to ensure that your university accepts and transfers the credits you study in Spain.

All our students stay with families living in the town of Alcalá de Henares. Instituto Franklin-UAH does not provide any other type of accommodation.

You are responsible for your own accommodation for the days that are not included in the official program dates.

Instituto Franklin-UAH offers a pick-up service from the Adolfo Suárez Madrid Barajas Airport for students who come to Spain on the date set at the start of the program.

You can stay in Spain legally until the expiration date of your visa. Should you wish to extend your studies with us, you will have to return to the US and apply for a visa extension.

Students should always keep phone numbers, emails and addresses of host families and onsite Directors, as well as other numbers from the health insurance company and other emergency numbers given during orientation. The program includes private health insurance. Students will have access to certain private medical facilities in Spain. More information will be provided during the orientation at the beginning of the program in Alcalá.


Summer (June / July / August), temperatures are usually very high (around 40 °C) in Madrid, and in winter (December / January / February) temperatures can be very cold (about 5 degrees, or even 0 degrees, even reaching temperatures below 0 sometimes). In fall (September / October / November) and spring (March / April / May), temperatures are warm (around 15 °C).

Voltage in Spain is 220 watts and plugs are different from the United States, so the use of an adapter will be required. You can bring an adapter from the United States, or buy it once you are in Spain.



Name and Surname (required)

Email (required)



Would you like to receive our updates?

We use cookies to improve our services. You can change the settings or get more information on our cookies policy

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.