Activities and Training
The doctoral candidate must include the training activities undertaken during his/her period of studies in the individualized register called Record of Activities Document.
In order to help students acquire the competences corresponding to the PhD degree, the Escuela de Doctorado organizes every academic year a variety of formative activities:
- Seminars: The Escuela de Doctorado offers annually a series of seminars for students of all PhD programs on matters related to research and management of information, oral and written presentation of research, project preparation, ethical aspects of research, etc. It is recommended that students attend these seminars during the first or second year of their doctorate.
- Young researcher seminars: For several years, the Universidad de Alcalá has been organizing these seminars, at which students have the opportunity to present their research as it develops to their fellow students and professors. It is recommended that students present at these seminars in the second or third year of the doctorate.
- Internships: With the objective of helping the doctoral candidates better understand the professional world and develop and apply research methods from industry or institutions into their own research, we offer placements in companies with research departments. At present, the University of Alcalá has more than 400 agreements with a variety of companies.
- PhD Program in American Studies Seminar
Description: The PhD Program in American Studies offers annually a training seminar in American Studies, in which the PhD candidates must present the advances in their research to the Academic Committee.
Duration: 10 hours
Control procedure: This formative activity will be evaluated by each student’s defense of his/her research before the Academic Committee. Rather than earning a numerical or Pass/Fail grade, the goal is for the student to receive the Committee’s comments and suggests in order to better develop his/her research.
- Attending other Conferences and Seminars
Description: Attendance to conferences and seminars related to American Studies or to a research area of interest.
Control procedure: In order to control these activities doctoral candidates will complete a descriptive and evaluative report of the activity in which s/he has participated. These reports will be exhibited at the doctoral candidates’ annual presentations.
Description: Research stays at prestigious universities, organisms, or international institutions for the completion of research tasks which form part of the development of the Doctoral Dissertation in other research centers, preferably abroad. This activity allows the doctoral candidate to earn the title of International Doctor, as stated in Article 15 of Real Decreto 99/ 2011 of January 28.
Control Procedure: The evaluation of this activity will be completed by the Academic Committee of the doctoral program taking into consideration the documentation presented (summary of completed activity approved by the Tutor and Thesis Advisor, certificate of attendance signed by the host center) turned in by the doctoral candidate to be included in the Annual evaluation of the Research Plan and Record of Activities Document.