Camino Real Award The Camino Real Award was introduced in 2012, coinciding with the 25th anniversary of the establishment of the Institute (1987), to recognize the professional work of Spaniards who prominently and exemplary project and enhance the positive image of Spain in the United States. Read more >
Spanish Migration to the United States, 1880-1940 The main objective of this project is to study the Spanish migration to the United States between 1880 and 1940 from the exploitation of the microdata from the United States censuses carried out between these dates. This data has recently been digitalized and harmonized by the University of Minnesota. Read More >
Francisco Sáez de Adana, nuevo director del Instituto Franklin-UAH En las elecciones celebradas el pasado jueves 25 de abril de 2019, el Consejo Académico del Instituto Franklin-UAH eligió por unanimidad al Dr. Francisco Sáez de Adana Herrero, catedrático del Departamento de Ciencias de la Computación de la Universidad de Alcalá, como nuevo director del Instituto Franklin-UAH. Leer más >

International Studies

Mode of study On campus
From Monday to Thrusday
Duration and credits 9-10 weeks
12 US credits
Dates January-April
Location Alcalá de Henares, Madrid
Language of instruction English

Instituto Franklin > Academics > International Studies > FAQ and Contact Information

FAQ and Contact Information

Students may be required to obtain a student visa depending on the country of origin. Please, contact the Spanish embassy or consulate in your home country to find out if you need a student visa to study in Spain before submitting your application form. Students who are US nationals do not need a visa since the International Studies Program is less than 90 days.

Students wishing to continue their studies until the end of the semester in the separate Study Abroad in Spain Program at Instituto Franklin-UAH must obtain a student visa.

All our courses have a duration of 45 hours, equivalent to 3 US credits. To ensure that your university accepts and transfers the credits you study in Spain, it is very important that your counselor approves the courses you are going to take.

No, it is not necessary for your university to be part of the CTSS to participate in the program. International Studies is an open program for all students.


All our students stay with families living in the town of Alcalá de Henares. Instituto Franklin-UAH does not handle and is not responsible for any other type of accommodation.

Neither Instituto Franklin-UAH nor our families are responsible for the students’ accommodation before or after the start or end date of the program. Therefore, you should find your own accommodation for the days that are not included in the official program dates.

Instituto Franklin-UAH offers a pick-up service from the Adolfo Suárez Madrid Barajas Airport for students who come to Spain on the date set at the start of the program.

You can stay in Spain legally until the expiration date of the program. In the case that you want to extend your studies with us, you must return to the US and apply for a visa.

Students should always keep phone numbers, emails and addresses of host families and onsite Directors, as well as other numbers from the health insurance company and other emergency numbers given during orientation. The program fee for the International Studies Program includes private health insurance. Students will have access to certain private medical facilities in Spain. More information will be provided during the orientation at the beginning of the program in Alcalá.

In summer (June / July / August), temperatures are usually very high (around 40ºC or 104 °F) in Madrid and in winter (December / January / February) temperatures can be very cold (about 5 ºC or 41 ºF, or even 0 ºC or 32 ºF, even reaching temperatures below 0 in some situations). In fall (September / October / November) and spring (March / April / May), temperatures are warm (around 15 °C or 59ºF).

Voltage in Spain is 220 volts and the shape of the outlets and plugs are different from the United States, so the use of both a converter and an adapter will be required. These can be easily purchased both in Spain and the US. Many electronic devises (e.g. laptops) have built-in converters, but will still need adapters for the different shaped outlets.


Name and Surname (required)

Email (required)



Would you like to receive our updates?

We use cookies to improve our services. You can change the settings or get more information on our cookies policy

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.